- 80% of the time, you should be sharing non-promotional content. The other 20% of time, promote your brand.
- 80 % of your Social Media Marketing time, should be spent in listening. The other 20% of time, open your mouth.
by Vinaytosh Mishra (PhD) Assistant Professor FORE School of Management,New Delhi
Website layout is like map of a house. As we plan a house according to inhabitant, web layout should also be plan after taking user’s behavior in account.
As indicated back in April of 2006 by the Nielsen group, readers focus hard at the top left corner, and progressively less to the right and down the page. This means that you’ve got a relatively small piece of your total real-estate to both get your readers hooked on your content and to teach them how to use your site.
Users often read Web pages in an F-shaped pattern: two horizontal stripes followed by a vertical stripe. This dominant reading pattern looks somewhat like an F and has the following three components:
·Users first read in a horizontal movement, usually across the upper part of the content area. This initial element forms the F's top bar.
·Next, users move down the page a bit and then read across in a second horizontal movement that typically covers a shorter area than the previous movement. This additional element forms the F's lower bar.
· Finally, users scan the content's left side in a vertical movement. Sometimes this is a fairly slow and systematic scan that appears as a solid stripe on an eyetracking heatmap. Other times users move faster, creating a spottier heatmap. This last element forms the F's stem.
Users won't read your text thoroughly in a word-by-word manner. You need to optimize the content accordingly to users’ behavior. The first two paragraphs must state the most important information. The information in left column has greater probability of getting spotted, hence placing entry points (links, navigation bar, notice etc.) is recommended.
Research: Gather intelligence on target audiences, social use and competition.
Stop, look and listen – it’s the first step to an effective social marketing strategy. Profile your target audiences and their social characteristics. Monitor their dialog and how preferred platforms are used. Benchmark brand popularity, share of voice and other qualitative and quantitative social metrics for your company and competitors. This is also an opportunity to assess your organization’s existing resources, communities and digital assets that may add value to your strategy.
Objectives: Define objectives aligned with target audiences and social metrics.
Forget about soft objectives like “increasing awareness.” Achieving hard, measurable and targeted objectives is the only way to win over social marketing skeptics who control the budgets within your organization. Segment, select and prioritize target audiences by social status. When possible, align objectives with metrics traceable to financials like ROI, cost-per-lead and sales conversions rather than qualitative measures such as sentiment. There are a variety of free tools (Google Analytics, Social Mention, etc.) and commercial analytical solutions for providing the quantitative tracking data required.
Actions: Create a social marketing strategy with a tactical plan of action.
Once you have established targeted and measurable objectives, you will need to plot a course of action toward achieving the desired outcomes. This section will specify the social marketing tactics, implementation timetables, campaigns and best practices, roles and responsibilities, policies and procedures, and budgets your strategy will require. It will also define your social marketing architecture – the pathways for connecting target audiences and conversations to content hubs, landing pages and conversion points.
Devices: Select platforms by their tactical effectiveness and architectural fit.
An effective strategy is expected to outlive the brief lifespan of today’s popular social platforms. Therefore, your ROAD Map to this point has been technology brand-agnostic. But now is the time to identify, assess and select the appropriate social platforms (Devices) that effectively fit into your current social marketing architecture. If a social network is appropriate, will it be Facebook or LinkedIn? Do you need to build a private customer service forum or will a Twitter account be a better solution? These are the final questions your strategy will answer.
People love to express themselves .They love to showcase themselves as opinion leader and that is the reason behind “Nukkadbazi”or “Addebazi”. Since my childhood days I have been participated in Nukkad/pantry conversations actively. These places are now replaced by Face book, blog and Twitter.
On 5th June 2011, some of the trending keywords for Twitter in India were:
Need not to say these keywords are related to the “Baba Ramdev’s crusade against black money. When we check Google Trend for Baba Ramdev the above hypothesis gets some support.
Sentiments of Twitter users are against the police action against Baba and some of them are comparing the act with “Jalianwala Bagh Massacre”.
Marketing Sherpa a leader in Market Research wanted to learn more about what organizations track to quantify the impact of social media marketing. Find out the results from a survey of more than 3,300 marketers in this chart.
I own two blogs, one each for professional and personal blogging. The target audience for both blogs is entirely different. My poem blog www.vinaytosh.blogspot.com is on free domain and support Hindi fonts while my professional blog www.vinaytosh.com is more professional in look.
When running multiple blogs, it’s important to have a clear separation from one blog to the next. Each blog should have a clear focus. Otherwise, how will you know which blog should contain a certain type of post?
If you have several multi-topic blogs, you may find that some of them get neglected, or they suffer from poor quality content as you post on them just to keep them somewhat up to date.
There’s very little reason to set up multiple blogs if you don’t have different things to say on each one.
At Digital Musketeers we spend a lot of time in researching our clients need and maintain recency as well as frequency in our blog posts.
On 21st of April 2011 Facebook celebrated the one year anniversary of one of its most important product launches, the Like Button. To commemorate the one year anniversary of the Like Button Facebook released some interesting data about the button's usage in its first year.
1. 10,000 websites integrate with Facebook each day
2. More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook
3. Over half of the 25 fastest growing U.S. retail sites use Facebook
4. Media sites that adopt the Like button average a greater than 300% increase in referral traffic from Facebook
5. Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
I hope you are doing fine! It is start of financial year and every business was busy in making plans for next quarter and now it’s time for some real stuff. I hope this blog will help you in your day to day needs. In case you have any specific questions about online marketing you can always write me on Vinaytosh@gmail.com .
In last post we talked about the macro strategy for email campaigns, in this post I would write on implementation side of it. For me it is a six step process:
Step 1: Define the objective of campaign as well as the target audience you want to tract.
Step 2: Start from a much targeted list prepared by organic methods. To keep it simple:” Never buy an email list”. It won’t help in long run.
Step 3: Ask for permission to collect email address and provide them unsubscribe option as well. Provided them freedom. If they don’t speak for you they will not speak against you as well.
Step 4: Prepare a landing page with call to action for target audience.
Step 5: Refine your campaign for people who have interacted.
Step 6: Depending on second campaign pass the inbound leads to direct sales team.
Social Media Measurement Buckets
In earlier section, I just talked about A/B Split testing or bucket testing. Now I am going to share six major buckets to examine.
These are things such as leads, new email subscribers, sales and donations. You can create campaigns and see which links/posts to social sites are driving the most conversions.
Share of Voice and Sentiment
In social media, share of voice refers to the number of conversations about your brand vs. your competitors/market. To do this, you’ll want to use a monitoring program that can help you keep track of all conversations about your brand and your competitors over a given time period.
When looking at all these mentions you’ll want to make sure to track which ones are positive, negative and neutral, so you can assign a weight to each of these categories and calculate your average sentiment. To get share of voice, you divide the number of conversations about your brand by the total number of conversations about brands in your market.
A few things that may work as metrics for online awareness include:
Engagement is the extent to which people interact with you and your content. Some signs of engagement include:
Influence is the likelihood that what you’re doing inspires action. Some signals of influence may include:
Online popularity is essentially just the number of people subscribed to your content. Some people always say it’s all about the quality of your following, not the quantity. That’s true to some extent; however if you’re looking for advertisers or sponsors to partner with on social programs, having 10,000 followers on Twitter looks a lot better than having 500. Some examples of online popularity signals include:
I hope these buckets serve as helpful starting points for you. Keep checking our blog for more information about Social Media Marketing and Social Media Tools.