I still remember my childhood days when we used to stand in queue for hours to get a railway reservation. Now people hardly visit station to book a railway ticket. Online shopping is an easy and comfortable way of shopping for a large range of products.
There is a survey conducted by The Nielsen Company, which suggests that around 85% has already used to make a purchase online which shows an improvement in the online shopping trends. Another claim is that around 50% of the people using Internet around the world, are active online shoppers.
A survey conducted about two years ago, about number of online shoppers, suggested the number to be around 627 million which has risen to about 875 million as of now. People from countries like Korea, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan and United States of America, are very fond of online shopping. Many manufacturing companies are aggressively marketing their products considering the change in the online shopping trends using E-commerce web hosting to attract more and more customers.
Facts in favor of online shopping:
1. You save a lot of time & Transportation cost. You need not personally go to the retail shop for shopping.
2. With advent of new technologies information assimilation has become easier and catalogs are making personal visit irrelevant.
3. With penetration of Internet /Mobile, online shopping is in reach of millions of Indians. There is lot of opportunity untapped.
Strategy for Indian Consumer:
1. Indians are adopter of technologies, when it becomes affordable and reliable.
2. The association with government provides Indian a sense of security and It was reason behind success of IRCTC online ticketing system.But the things are changing fast with transparency and proper guidelines.
3. Indians go for deal! There should be incentive for using online channels.
4. The benefits for online shopping should be immediate and if possible “reduced price”.